Monday, October 29, 2012

Of New Ventures and Beginnings


Greetings, everyone! I am a fellow Malaysian student (albeit merely a freshman) of Gadjah Mada University (UGM) in the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine.

As I write this post, I have been in Yogyakarta, Indonesia for approximately 2 and half months, give or take. Why did I decide to write this blog? While we’re at that, what IS this blog going to be about anyway?

For starters, let’s just say early on, it hasn’t been that great of a time locating food. I’ve been scouring the sites, hoping and hoping to find a decent website or blog that would help find the best eateries that would suit mine own taste buds.

Local food tend to be dry. When I say dry, I don't mean that they lack moisture, no. I meant that the foods are without all the sauces and gravies that Malaysian foods tend to have. Oh, I meant local rice accompaniments, that is. You know, like we have curry, masak kicap, masak lemak and all that goodness that we all know and love.

Whereas, here, especially in the first few weeks, we had rice, chicken (fried or roasted), with a side of sambal, some herbs and cucumbers maybe, or veggies that are very simply cooked (which I don’t really mind, mind you) and keropok. And oh look! FRUIT!




It was pretty good at first, until we had it the next day as well. And the next. And the day after that too.
It was the only thing we knew to get. Oh woe be to the ones who do not know.

Suffice to say it gets BORING. Maybe it’s just me? I don’t know. I couldn’t survive on that alone, and I wasn’t very eager to go out much that time around, especially past 6. It gets dark here extremely quick. Sun rises pretty early too.

Please, do not misunderstand. It doesn't mean that there's nothing nice to eat AT ALL here. It's just that, we didn't know where to find anything.

So I searched, and searched, and searched. And came up with not much. That doesn’t mean there’s none though. No! It’s just quite hard to find. THAT, my friends, is why I decided to make this blog. To help catalogue all the places that deliver food to the residence.

The process will be slow in the going, because, as per the blog’s domain name, I am a hermit crab, and I prefer staying in my room than anything.

Until then, I bid you,
Auf Wiedersehen!

No comments:

Post a Comment